Cover photo by Dave James.
Hello everyone! It's been a while since you've heard from me, but since I last posted an update, I've been hard at work, heading up the Android team here at Triggertrap. In my previous blog post, I promised you a bright future. Today, it's time to dig out the sunglasses, because that bright future is here. Ladies and gentlemen, I present:
Triggertrap Mobile for Android 2.0 - Public Beta!
That's right, the Triggertrap iOS guys will never know what hit 'em; they've been working hard, but I got there first, and I'm stoked to announce that we're running a public beta of the brand new 2.0 version of the Triggertrap Mobile App.
The Triggertrap Mobile App for Android has a load of amazing new features in it. Too much to list, but I just wanted to point out some of the highlights:
- It's a Native Android app. That's right - the whole app has been re-written from scratch, and it's better than ever.
- It can run in the background. That means that your Timelapses can keep on going for a very long time, without running down the battery
- It has a beautiful new design. Out goes the old design which was based on the iOS app. In its place is an awesome new design that's fully Android, with simpler navigation and easier controls.
What does 'Beta' Mean?
We think this version is already looking great, but it's not quite ready for prime time.
Most obviously, not all of the modes are available. We're still working on getting these ready to use, and we'll be releasing regular updates as we add them. Secondly, while the app is usable, it will be a little buggy and may have some strange behaviours. This is where we need your help.
We have a cabinet full of test devices, but even so there's no way we can cover even a small fraction of the Android devices on the market. With a little help from you guys we can cover more of them and try and get it working for everyone. There are a list of known issues below which don't need reporting, but if you find something else please let us know and we'll try and fix it in time for the next beta release. See below for details on how to do this.
How can I get in on the Beta action?
If you want to take part in the beta test, you need to opt-in via Google Play. There are two steps to this.
- Join the Triggertrap Beta Testers group on Google+. This grants you access to the Google Play betas.
- Then you can opt-in to receive beta versions in Google Play. This link should be available in a few hours.
After you've done this, the beta will appear as an update in Google Play Store on your phone or tablet. This may take up to an hour - patience, please :-)
What if I change my mind?
No problem. You can easily revert to the old, stable version by opting-out in Google Play. The old version will appear as an update. If it doesn't, try uninstalling and reinstalling from Google Play Store.
Will it work on my device?
You'll need a slightly newer device for this version than the last. The minimum requirement is Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich). If you're stuck on an older version we're sorry, but an app this sexy needs the shiny new OS.
There is a constantly-updated list of known and reported issues in the beta testing forum:
- The app only supports portrait orientation. Landscape will be coming soon.
- The volume needs to be set to max manually.
- We haven't added all the checks for minimum values yet. So setting really small values for timelapse and timed mode may not work.
- Layouts haven't been optimised for all screen sizes. If you've got a mobile device with around a 4 inch screen it should be fine.
I have a problem / suggestion / idea!
Got a suggestion? Dreaming about a feature that will take your photography to the next level? Great news! Let us know over in our forum!
(You may have noticed we've switched off comments for this post. It's not because we don't love you, but remember that forum we mentioned? That's a much better place to let the discussions flow freely!)