Skip to content

The triggertrap is ready for production!

December 5, 2011
Adjusting the light sensitivity for the ambient light sensor

Hey there! It’s bloody hectic times here at Triggertrap Towers; we’re in the middle of doing our final testing, and things are looking GREAT – we have a load of cameras tested now – as you can see from our vastly expanded Supported Cameras list.

The great news about that is that it means only one thing: Ladies and gentlemen – the Triggertrap is finished!

I know this is a moment you guys have all been waiting for for bloody ages, and believe me: Nobody is as eager as me to get this thing out there.

The next few steps are ordering all the components (That’ll be a fun order, of more than 11,000 ceramic caps, 4,000 electro caps and some 19,000 resistors – to just pick a few of the most outrageous numbers), shipping it to the factory, and starting manufacturing!

Ordering parts is going to take about 4 weeks, and actual production will take 6-8 weeks for all the Triggertraps to be completed. We’re currently talking to the factory to see whether it’s possible to start shipping them to you guys as soon as they come off the production line; obviously, that would be a lot more awesome than having a few thousand Triggertrap devices just sitting in a warehouse being bored.

The downside of this is that we’ve overshot our deadline; I have been saying ‘before Christmas’ all along, but it seems as if it was just too optimistic. Nonetheless; if we manage to order the parts on Monday, it means that the Triggertraps will be winging their way out into the world around Valentine’s day.

New photos & video introduction

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is some awesome news. Let’s celebrate by sharing some of the most recent photos of the device, complete with its new casing:

The Triggertrap

Adjusting the light sensitivity for the ambient light sensor

Selecting the laser sensor behaviour

The Triggertrap (left) and the Triggertrap Shield (right).

An Arduino clone made by Seed studios (left), and the Triggertrap Shield with the screen mounted (right)

And finally, a quick Video walk-around, so you know what you’re looking at in the photos:

12 Comments leave one →
  1. Peter permalink
    December 5, 2011 17:53

Awso

• The grebneG permalink
      December 5, 2011 18:43

Whoops… My bad..

2. The grebneG permalink
    December 5, 2011 18:05

Awsome!!! I understand the whole TT megacorp have been working really hard to get the product out on the market. Thank you very much for that and good luck with the everything <3 I really looking forward to get my unit and start testing all the ideas my head is overfilled with at the moment

3. paddybhoy permalink
    December 5, 2011 18:57

Looking forward to this very much – well done!
    Is there a laser you would recommend? I’m thinking of trying to capture flying insects like this
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6070540843/in/photostream
    but with more consistent results

• Haje Jan Kamps permalink*
      December 5, 2011 19:09

Any laser pointer should do the trick, really – I’ve been doing most of my testing with a dirt-cheap $4 laser pointer.

4. BDJ permalink
    December 5, 2011 21:37

This looks great – as soon as there’s some confirmation of it working with the Panasonic m43 cameras (I have a GH-1), I’m buying one.

5. paddybhoy permalink
    December 6, 2011 18:01

Hmm, i was thinking of something with more of a spread so I could catch the beasties on the wing more easily – but I’ll do some searching while waiting for the TT. Many thanks!

6. Rodney McKay permalink
    December 6, 2011 22:46

The microphone is hidden inside the case? One end is open & vulnerable? Is there an internal power source?

*Sigh*… Back to the drawing board.

• Haje Jan Kamps permalink*
      December 7, 2011 17:32

Yes, the microphone is in the case, but it’s sensitive enough that it works fine.

Yes, one end is open.

Yes, there’s an internal power-source (3x AA batteries)

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement!

7. Terry Thomas Photos / Atlanta permalink
    December 6, 2011 23:29

The clear plastic case looks to be brittle. Have you performed a drop test? What about a drop test when the unit was frozen solid?

I understand it’s most likely cheaper to make a case out of square-cut plastic but those right angle corners are going to cut people and equipment such as camera bags. Especially after the TT has been dropped a couple times and the case breaks. When I get my TT the first thing I’m going to do is grind down all the edges and corners to round them.

Suggestion:
    I have owned a Promote Controller for about a year now and there are a couple things I have learned from it that I would like to pass on to you.

1. do NOT supply attachment cables looped back on themselves then twist-tied shut. What happens is the wires develop fixed curves and when you unloop them to use the wires are not straight and they want to loop around themselves making a total mess.

2. do NOT design a storage case based on tightly wrapped accessory wires (see #1 above). Instead, straighten out the wires then wrap them loosely around your fingers to prepare for storage as any normal human would do not some machine in a factory.

3. if you supply a cable for Nikon’s 10 pin connector use a push-in plug not the awful knurled locking ring as called for in Nikon’s design. That locking ring is almost impossible to screw into place and absolutely impossible in cold weather while wearing gloves. Or at least offer two cable designs in your accessory store: one plug-in and one knurled knob.

8. Rob permalink
    December 6, 2011 23:41

Wooo Hoooo!!! Just knowing they are ready for production is enough of a christmas present for me!!!

Thank you for all the hard work in getting it right the first (or 39th!!) time!

9. tckhoon permalink
    December 18, 2011 05:22

Please email me whenever it is ready for sale:

tckhoon